The Cannes 2018 is over and – according to many various voices – it was one hell of a lineup.
The festival in Cannes was always a hit-or-miss. I remember the times, when I started paying attention to the news from the French coast. The booing at the premiere of Gosling’s “Lost River”, the criticism of “Love” by Gaspar Noe, the first opinions on “Sicario” or the breakout of Jeremy Saulnier – it was all there. All read on the way to work.
Since the festival has changed its board, there are already visible changes taking place. Many critics commented that the 2018’s lineup was one of the most exhilarating in many years. Even the authors, who usually returned home with a backlash on their mind have been praised (again, Gaspar I’m looking at you).
What’s mostly expected?
Definitely the hard-edged, bloody thriller “The House That Jack Built” by Lars von Trier, Spike Lee’s “BlacKkKlansman” starring Adam Driver, rumored to be a groundbreaking drama “Girl” and the Palm d’Or winner, “Shoplifters”.
I can already feel the tingling in my spine.
So, here is the full list of films, that I will personally pursue in the cinemas:
- The House That Jack Built – read the review here
- Climax – read the review here
- The Birds Of Passage – read the review here
- Happy As Lazzaro
- Burning – read the review here
- The Cold War
- Three Faces
- Dogman – read the review here
- The Image Book
- Under The Silver Lake – read about the movie here
- BlacKkKlansman – read the review here
- Girl – read the review here